- You must be at least 15 years of age or older to volunteer with Open Hand. Ages 15 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
- The starting age for group volunteers is age 9, so long as they are accompanied by one adult for every 7 children.
- Schedule your volunteer orientation session. Orientation times are as follows:
Groups do not have to schedule an orientation session, but will receive orientation upon your group's arrival to volunteer. If you are in need of community service hours, please contact Volunteer Services for approval at 404-872-2707.
- Please email us with the date you and/or your group would like to volunteer.
What to expect the day you and/or your group volunteer.
- If delivering meals, please arrive on time. Most delivered meals consist of lunch and dinner, so if you’re late a client may be late getting their lunch.
- If you will be packaging food please note the following. (Group Coordinators: please communicate this information to your group.) For the safety of our volunteers and clients, the dress code will be strictly enforced.
- Please arrive at your scheduled time!
Dress Code and Health Code
In compliance with health code regulations related to safe food handling, the following dress code is strictly enforced:
- Hairnets and beardnets, when necessary, must be worn at all times
(we provide hairnets and aprons)
- No sleeveless shirts or tops
- No open-toed shoes, sandals or flip flops
- Long pants only; no shorts
- No dangling or beaded jewelry
- Personal food and beverages are not allowed in the packaging area
- No cell phones should be used on the food packing line
Out of concern for our critically ill clients, if you have a cold, the flu, or some other contagious illness, please postpone your volunteer visit to a later date.
Open Hand will provide aprons and gloves as needed during your volunteer visit. Supervision is provided for all volunteers.
Please lock valuables up in your trunk. Our facility hosts over 125 volunteers per day and unfortunately, cannot assume responsibility for any lost or stolen personal items.
Parking is limited. There is a small lot directly in front of our facility, which we reserve for volunteers. If full, please park on the street in a legal spot watching carefully for No Parking signs and fire hydrants to avoid ticketing. Please do not park in adjacent business parking lots. Car-pooling is recommended whenever possible.