A Charitable Remainder Trust (CRT) is created by a transfer of assets to a trust that will pay you or another beneficiary income for life or for a period of years. At the death of the last beneficiary, the remaining property in the trust passes to Open Hand.
There are two basic kinds of CRTs:
- Annuity Trust – provides beneficiary(s) a fixed dollar income and is determined when gift is made.
- Unitrust – provides beneficiary(s) a fixed percentage of the fair market value of the trust assets, recalculated annually or at some other fixed period.
Tax Advantages of a CRT
- Receive an immediate charitable income tax deduction.
- Tax-free Diversification of the assets – the trust pays no capital gains tax on the sale of trust assets
- The entire value of the trust at your death is excluded from your estate and is not taxed.
For more information on planned giving options, or to set up an appointment to explore how a charitable gift to Open Hand may fit into your overall estate planning, please contact Jeff Carrico, Individual Gifts Manager, at 404-419-1109.